11. My Birth Story

I met with my doctor who told me that she couldn't induce me until 38 weeks. She also told me that if I was 37 weeks and felt any types of "contractions" or any "discomfort" and I went to the hospital, they wouldn't send me away. So at 37 weeks, on March 11, 2019 my husband and I got in the car and drove to the hospital. I walked into the Labor and Delivery wing and said, "I am 37 weeks pregnant with twins and I feel like I am having contractions."

With this statement we were quickly brought into the triage room and I was put on the monitors to see how the babies were doing. They also wanted to see how my "contractions" were coming along.

Now to be honest I didn't feel contractions at all. I just wanted my babies to be here. I knew they were safe and sound but I wanted them out in the world with me. So I was VERY nervous that as soon as they put the monitors on me they would discover that I had zero activity going on in there. So I waited anxiously while they gave the machines time to track everything going on.

The nurse finally came back to my room and started looking at the charts. I tried to read her face and pretend that I was in discomfort from all of my "contractions". When she looked at me and said, "You are right! Your contractions are under 5 minutes apart and you are 4 cm dilated. It's baby time for you two!" I almost laughed out loud. I was so confused. I was LYING that I was in pain. Yet, here I was in full blown labor and I didn't even know it. HUH!

So they got my IVs in and wheeled me into my very own birthing room. Except with twins you can't give birth anywhere but in an operating room. So they let me labor in one room and move me to the operating room to have the twins.

My doctor came in and gave me Pitocin and a few hours later she came in and broke my water. I was cool, calm and collected. I didn't really start to feel my contractions until an hour after she broke my water. At that point I was barely able to breathe through them. I woke Will up from his nap (yes he feel asleep in the chair while I thought my body might break apart!!) and told him to get the nurse. I needed an epidural ASAP.

Of course the anesthesiologist was busy and couldn't come for 20 minutes. Those may have been the longest 20 minutes of my life. Finally she came in and I had to try to not move through my contractions as she was putting a catheter in my spine. It took everything in me not to cry. I bit down on my tongue and tried to work though the pain of the contractions and the epidural procedure combo. My body was in total horrible shock at this point.

SHOUT OUT TO THOSE MOMS WHO HAVE BABIES WITHOUT PAIN MEDICATION- YOU ARE SUPERNATURAL. XOXOXOXO

Anyways, after my epidural I found that I could still feel the contractions on half of my body. So, the nurse had to shift me so that pain medication would hit all sides of me.

After another 20 minutes I was riding the happy train to happyville. I was like high on life. Maybe the epidural effected me in a different way than most. But- let me tell you- I didn't care about anything going on around me. I didn't care that I was about to maybe push to babies out of my whooha. I didn't care that I had just experienced some of the worst pain of my life. I was floating on a cloud of epidural bliss.

I can't tell you how much time passed because I was in lala land but suddenly something felt different. I told the Will to get the nurse because I was suddenly felt a ton of pressure. The nurse was out for her lunch break and my doctor was in another c-section. I was told to wait a few minutes and another nurse peeped her head who quickly said, "there is no way you are fully dilated it is probably just the babies making their way down. Either way don't worry because we just broke your water so you will probably be waiting for a few more hours before pushing."

I passively agreed and decided I didn't know what I was talking about. Yet, within twenty more minutes I knew I needed my doctor. I begged the nurse to check me and at the same moment the doctor came in. I told her how I was feeling and she laughed saying it's way too quick to feel that way but she would check me to ease my worries.

Well- shocker of the century- I was 10 centimeters dilated and ready to push. Everyone was baffled. They didn't let me take any practice pushes in my labor room. They quickly wheeled me into the operating room. I pushed five times and baby a was out. Then, as I was holding baby a on my chest my doctor made sure all was well with baby b. As they took baby a away, I pushed two more times and baby b was here.

I walked through the doors of labor and delivery at 5:30 am and had my babies at 12:00pm and 12:04pm. Under 20 min of pushing from start to finish.


......and then motherhood truly began.



 

Comments

Popular Posts