7. Telling Dad.

Yes, I went back to get more bloodwork two days later. Yes, my hCG levels were high and I was still VERY pregnant. We were so excited that we really didn't question the fact that the nurse kept saying how high my numbers were. Last time- they were too low so I didn't care HOW high they were this time. I was just happy to be pregnant.

We told my family as my dad's early birthday present. We were going to Charleston, SC with Will's family in the next week so we wanted to tell my family before we left. I had ordered a little onesie that I would give to my dad as his birthday gift. When it came to the night of giving him the gift I was so nervous for some reason. I knew that telling people would make it real and I wasn't even sure I believed it yet.

We did it at my dad's beach house. Everyone was hanging around the tiki hut and I walked out with three presents. I told him that since I wouldn't be seeing him for his birthday I wanted to give him his gifts before we left. He opened the first, and it was a framed picture of us dancing on my wedding day. The next was a Vineyard Vines sweater. The last was the onesie. He opened the last one and said, "oh very cool!" and threw it to the side. I was soo confused! He has wanted grandkids since before any of us were even married! I thought he would at least have a LITTLE more of a reaction! I asked him to look at it again. He said, "Lauren, it's a kitchen dish towel. Why would I need to look at it again?" I started to laugh uncontrollably! He actually didn't see it. He thought I got him a new dish towel for the kitchen. HA.. also weird gift to get my dad?

I again told him to re-look at the gift. When he did, and when he read the onesie he looked at me with eyes shining and a grin from ear to ear and said, "I am going to be a grandpa?" After that everyone was asking him to turn the onesie around. As seconds passed and the information sunk in, the family hugs and kisses, tears and congratulations ensued. It was pure bliss and a huge relief to know that what ever may come our family had our backs.


Side note: I had told my dad about what happened during the first IUI. While we were actually in the process of round #1 my family didn't know what we were doing. So, when it came time to doing the trigger shot I asked my sister's Mother in-Law (who is a nurse) to secretly come over and give me the shot. I told her we weren't telling people and she agreed to keep it all a secret for us. After that round failed and I decided I wanted to tell my family about it I talked to my dad about the process. I explained most of what happened. I also told him that last time Mrs. H came over and gave me the trigger shot. When I had told him that he made a weird face at me and kind of kept the conversation moving in another direction.

WELL little did I know that my dad thought Mrs. H came over to "inject" my husband's sperm into me!!! AT MY HOUSE! HAHAHAHAHA! Oh.. dad's for ya!!

ANY WHO- we cleared that up for my dad and explained how his future grandchild came to be.

Comments

Popular Posts